King Charles issues statement after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested

The King has issued a statement after his younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Thames Valley Police confirmed in a statement today (February 19) that Andrew had been detained after images surfaced online showed unmarked police cars arriving at the former prince’s home on the Sandringham Estate.

Police confirmed they had arrested a man in his sixties ‘on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk’.

Christy Carlson Romano shares health update

Their statement said: « The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court. »

Now, King Charles III, Andrew’s elder brother, has issued a statement following the arrest.It begins: « I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. »

« What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities, » King Charles continued.

« In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

« Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R. »

Speaking of today’s arrest, Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the individual had been arrested as a result of ‘a thorough assessment’.

The constable added: « We have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Andrew has made headlines in recent years due to his ties to the late Jeffrey Epstein, and has faced allegations by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre that she was made to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 in the early 2000s.

The former member of the royal family has long denied any wrongdoing.

Sir Keir Starmer, the UK’s prime minister, recently urged Andrew to speak with authorities in both the UK and US regarding Epstein.

He told the BBC that ‘anybody who has any information should testify’, which would include Andrew.

LADbible Group has reached out to Essex, Metropolitan, Bedfordshire, Norfolk, Surrey and Thames Valley police forces for comment, while Andrew’s representatives have also been contacted.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on his 66th birthday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Officers in unmarked vehicles arrested the senior royal at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, where he had been living since leaving Royal Lodge in Windsor, the BBC reported today (February 19).

Confirming that an arrest had been made, Thames Valley police said in a statement: “We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

“The man remains in police custody at this time.”

It comes after allegations made against Mountbatten-Windsor following the release of tons of documents pertaining to Jeffrey Epstein, whose relationship with the former prince has been a huge point of discussion.

Andrew has vehemently denied all the accusations against him in relation to Epstein, and being named in the files doesn’t indicate any wrongdoing.What is ‘misconduct in public office’?
This is when someone in a position of responsibility within the British state commits ‘serious wilful abuse or neglect of the power or responsibilities of the public office held’.

It includes a wide range of things, such as incompetence, workplace harassment, corruption, or abuse of power.

Lord Justice Leveson has outlined the approach to misconduct in public office on the website of the Crown Prosecution Service, which is responsible for public prosecutions in England and Wales, and has raised three questions about the offence.

He said: “First, what was the position held? Second, what is the nature of the duties undertaken by the employee or officer in that position? »

The third question is more complex and concerns whether someone is acting as a ‘public officer’ by asking whether the public would have a ‘significant interest’ in their failure to carry out their duties.

Who does it apply to?
In short, anyone who is in a position of responsibility within the British state.

That covers a huge variety of different positions. This includes judges, magistrates, coroners, police officers, immigration officers, prison staff (including in private prisons), army officers, civil servants, elected officials, and bishops in the Church of England, according to the CPS.

For example, a prison officer could potentially be charged with misconduct in public office if they had an affair with a prisoner, or a civil servant might be charged with taking a bribe.What is the sentence?
The maximum sentence for misconduct in a public office is life imprisonment, but in practice, this only applies to the most severe cases.

The sentence for this offence can vary enormously, and depends on the severity of the alleged misconduct and the seniority of the position that the defendant held.

Someone in a more senior position might be given a more severe penalty because their misconduct has the potential to do more damage.

How does this apply to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor?
Misconduct in public office covers a wide range of alleged actions, and at present, the precise details of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest are unclear.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: « Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

« It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

« We understand the significant public interest in this case and we will provide updates at the appropriate time. »
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, has been arrested on his birthday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The brother of King Charles was arrested this morning (February 19) by Thames Valley Police, on the same day that he turns 66 years old.

Images shared online show police arriving at Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, where he has been living after he moved out of the Royal Lodge in Windsor.

His relocation came following controversy for his links to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.

Unmarked police cars arrived at the scene, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside the property.

In a statement cited by BBC News, Thames Valley Police said: « As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

« The man remains in police custody at this time. »The police said they would ‘not be naming the arrested man’.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Thames Valley Police previously confirmed the force was reviewing allegations that Epstein had trafficked a woman to the UK to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, as well as allegations that the prince shared sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.Andrew is known to have been linked to Epstein since 1999, with one of Epstein’s accusers, Virginia Giuffre, claiming that she was made to have sex with Andrew in the early 2000s when she was 17. Andrew has denied having sex with Giuffre, and has expressed regret at having stayed connected to Epstein, but King Charles has admitted his ‘profound concern’ at the allegations surrounding his brother.

A statement released from Buckingham Palace earlier this month said: « The King has made clear through words and through unprecedented actions his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect to Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.

« While the specific claims are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.

« As we previously stated, Their Majesties’ thoughts and sympathies have been and remain with the victims of any and all forms of abuse. »

Being named in the Epstein files does not indicate any wrongdoing.