A father who was identified as the suspect in a shooting in Rhode Island on Monday (February 16) allegedly made a concerning social media post days before.
Two people – alongside the shooter – were killed in the shooting, which took place at a high school hockey game. Meanwhile, three people are believed to be in a critical condition after obtaining severe injuries.
Pawtucket police chief, Tina Goncalves, has explained that it occurred at Dennis M Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, a few miles outside Providence.
A video acquired by the Providence Journal shows that around 13 shots run out through the ice rink in six seconds. A final shot was then heard 11 seconds later.
Goncalves has since identified the shooter, whose birth name was Robert Dorgan.
« So what I can say right now is that we have identified a suspect by a birth name. The birth name was Robert Dorgan, » she said at a press conference.
« We have already learned that the person does go by the name Roberta, [and] also uses the last name of Esposito. But, again, that will all be confirmed throughout the course of the investigation as to their status. »Following the shooting, an X account with the name ‘Roberta Dorgano’ has been linked to the suspect, as per Newsweek.
In one post, the account replies to actor Kevin Sorbo, who made an anti-transgender remark about Democrat Representative Sarah McBride.
The account wrote: « Keep bashing us. but do not wonder why we Go BERSERK. »
The account then adds a reply to another person in the comments, writing: « Stfu Alex dont be so butt hurtt over somebody different. then wonder why trans ppl go fkn BERSERK. »While the suspect has been named, law enforcement are yet to name any of the victims of the shooting. However, Goncalves did say that one of the victims of the attack was a ‘family friend’.
News station WPRI-TV claims that court documents reveal that in 2020, the suspect had contacted North Providence police after a dispute with family members.
The suspect allegedly claimed that following gender reassignment surgery, there had been pressure to leave the family home.
Charges were later filed but dismissed.
If you or someone you know has been affected by gun violence, please find more information and support via Survivors Empowered on their website.
Or, if you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact GrieveWell on (734) 975-0238, or email info@ grievewell.com.
A criminal investigation has been launched after a top Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) official admitted that two of its agents apparently lied under oath about an incident where one of them shot a Venezuelan man.
As with other recent shootings by ICE agents of civilians like Alex Pretti and Renee Good in Minneapolis, the January 14 incident which resulted in Julio Sosa-Celis being shot in the leg was initially framed as ‘attempted murder’ by DHS Secretary Kristi Noem.
Homeland Security had claimed that Sosa-Celis had been driving a vehicle with cousin Alfredo Aljorna and another man, before all three assaulted one of the immigration officers who shot the Venezuelan national.
But a statement from the Aljorna’s lawyer claimed Sosa-Celis was injured when Aljorna was tailed home by immigration agents. After fleeing inside his cousin’s property, the agents are alleged to have shot through the door and hit Sosa-Celis in the leg.Court documents stemming from the January 14 incident show that the two immigration officers claimed to have been set upon by Sosa-Celis and his associates, who they said were wielding a broom handle and a snow shovel.
ICE’s Acting Director Todd Lyons has now admitted that the agents who filed the report made ‘untruthful statements’ about what took place before they opened fire on Sosa-Celis.
He said in a shocking U-turn on Friday: “A joint review by ICE and the Department of Justice (DOJ) of video evidence has revealed that sworn testimony provided by two separate officers appears to have made untruthful statements.”
His reversal of the narrative came just a day after felony assault charges were dropped against both Aljorno and Sosa-Celis by the Department of Justice, which filed a motion admitting that the court had been provided with incorrect information.
ICE said this was due to the officers’ ‘false statements’.Both immigration officers have been removed from their posts as a result of their apparent false claims, Todd Lyons also revealed in his statement, with the enforcement agency saying the allegation is ‘a serious federal offense.’
ICE Director Lyons’ statement added: « Both officers have been immediately placed on administrative leave pending the completion of a thorough internal investigation….The U.S. Attorney’s Office is actively investigating these false statements.”
This sudden admission came after video evidence made it clear that the officers’ recollection of the shooting was not true, DHS official Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement to People.
« The men and women of ICE are entrusted with upholding the rule of law and are held to the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, and ethical conduct, » she said.
Adding: « Violations of this sacred sworn oath will not be tolerated. ICE remains fully committed to transparency, accountability, and the fair enforcement of our nation’s immigration laws. »
Sosa-Celis and Aljorno are said to be ‘happy’ to be free, with their attorney sharing: « The charges against them were based on lies by an ICE agent who recklessly shot into their home through a closed door.
« They are so happy justice is being served by the government’s request to dismiss all charges with prejudice. The identity of the ICE agent should be made public and he should be charged for his crime. »
A teacher, who has been in the profession for over a decade, has reportedly been made to quit his job for voicing his support for ICE on social media.
Last month, James Heidorn, a gym teacher at Gary Elementary School in West Chicago, came under fire for writing ‘GO ICE’ online in response to a news article about local police pledging to collaborate with immigration enforcement.
His remarks quickly drew criticism from community activists and local lawmakers, with West Chicago Mayor Daniel Bovey even weighing in on it all.
In a video shared to Facebook, Bovey called Heidorn’s remarks ‘hurtful’ and ‘offensive’.
Following the social media storm that followed Heidorn’s comments, he was placed on leave while the school investigated the matter.
Initially he resigned from the role, but retracted this shortly after. Heidorn went on to resign for a second time however, before he could be fired from the school.
Now Heidorn has spoken out on it all and described the ordeal as ‘professionally and personally devastating and surreal’.
« This started with a two-word comment on my personal Facebook page supporting law enforcement—nothing more, » he told Fox News. « It wasn’t directed at any student, family or school community. »
Heidorn went on: « Second, I was placed on leave and faced intense pressure before any full investigation or fair process could play out, with this it led to my resignation.
« Third, I lost my career, my income and the chance to close out my time with my students properly—no farewell, no goodbyes. »A GoFundMe page has been created for Heidorn in the wake of him resigning which, at the time of writing, has had over $60,000 in donations.
Part of the bio on the page reads: « James Heidorn, a beloved physical education teacher at Gary Elementary School, resigned after a single social media comment ignited outrage and a one-sided account that quickly spiraled beyond control. What followed was not reflection or fairness, but permanent consequences that have changed the course of his life.
« For 14 years, James showed up every day for his students, motivating them and building relationships beyond the gym, where class was often the highlight of their day and the first thing they talked about at home. »
The page-creator went on to say that a ‘false narrative’ was created about Heidorn and that his work opportunities ‘were crushed instantly’.
Reportedly after Heidorn resigned he lost his job as a soccer coach at a private school.