Donald Trump has branded the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who is under suspicion of misconduct in public office, as ‘a shame’.
Andrew was arrested on the morning of his 66th birthday (February 19) and has since been been released from custody.
Law enforcement have concluded an investigation at his Norfolk home, but their enquiries at his Berkshire property are ongoing.
Eric Dane on Famous Last Words
Following the news of his arrest, Trump has spoken out and seemingly sympathized with the disgraced royal.
When asked by Fox News’ Peter Doocy if any American associates of Epstein would be arrested in light of Andrew being detained, Trump said: « I’m the expert in a way because I’ve been totally exonerated.
« So, I can talk about it. I think it’s a shame. It’s a very sad thing and I think it’s so bad for the Royal Family. »Trump’s comments come shortly after British police confirmed that Andrew, who is no longer a prince, had been released.
« Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office, » they said.
« On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
« The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
« We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded. »
No further comments are going to be made by the police and a press conference will not be taking place.
Elsewhere in his message about Andrew’s arrest, Trump went on to note that King Charles is due to visit the US soon and said: « His brother, who is coming to our country very soon, the King — it’s a very sad thing. »
« I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office, » his statement began.
« What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. »
The King continued: « In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
« Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R. »
King Charles is set to visit the US in April, according to Newsweek.
Police issue update as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody following arrest
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on February 19 — the former Duke of York’s 66th birthda
Andrew, who is no longer known as Prince Andrew after having all his royal titles removed last year, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Today marks the disgraced royal’s 66th birthday.
His homes in Norfolk and Berkshire were being searched by police as part of the investigation.
Following his arrest, law enforcement were able to hold him for up to 96 hours before either releasing him or charging him.
Now the former Duke of York — who is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested — has been released under investigation, the Thames Valley Police has confirmed in a statement.A new press release reads: « Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
« On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
« The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
« We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded. »
While the investigations in Norfolk have been wrapped up, the search of a property in Berkshire are still underway.
The police added that it will not be making any further statements at this time and will not be holding a press conference on the matter.
Following Andrew’s arrest, the family of Virginia Giuffre said their ‘broken hearts have been lifted’. Giuffre accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was 17, which he has always denied. She died by suicide last year.
Meanwhile, a legal expert has explained what exactly misconduct in public office means, and what prosecutors need to prove to secure a conviction.What the police initially said
« As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, » Thames Valley Police said, per the BBC.
« The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court. »
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: « Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
« It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
« We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time. »
What does misconduct in public office mean and what is the maximum sentence?
The Crown Prosecution Service describes misconduct in public office as the ‘serious wilful abuse or neglect of powers’ in a public role.
Andrew served as UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011.
Gareth Martin, specialist criminal defence and regulatory lawyer at Olliers Solicitors: « Unlike many modern offences, this is a common law crime with no statutory limit on sentencing – meaning it carries a maximum of life imprisonment. »
“The threshold for this offence is exceptionally high. The courts have been clear that it should only be used where the conduct is so blameworthy that it warrants criminal punishment rather than civil or disciplinary action.”
Prosecutors must prove there was ‘a wilful breach of his official duties’.
Thames Valley Police initially said they were assessing a report which accused Andrew of sharing sensitive information with billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein while he was trade envoy. »I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office, » the head of the Royal Family said of his younger brother’s arrest.
« What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
« In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. »
King Charles III added that he and the rest of the royals will be continuing their ‘duty and service’ to the country.
The former Prince was detained on Thursday (February 19) – his 66th birthday – by Thames Valley police, who confirmed the arrest after photos of officers arriving at his Sandringham Estate home circulated online.
The brother of King Charles, Andrew, was stripped of his royal title last year after controversy over his links to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial on federal se* trafficking charges.
Giuffre, who died by suicide last year, had made a series of allegations about the former Duke of York dating back to 2001 when she met the royal family member in London, UK.
She had claimed that she was sexually abused by Andrew on three occasions when she was a teenager after being trafficked by Epstein’s accomplices, including Ghislaine Maxwell, allegations which Andrew has continuously denied.
Speaking out on Andrew’s arrest, Giuffre’s family said in a statement: « At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. »On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
« He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you. »
King Charles also addressed his younger brother’s arrest, sharing: « I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
« What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
The King continued: « In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. »
He continued: « As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. »Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R. »
Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright confirmed police had opened an investigation into an allegation of misconduct in public office.
According to the Crown Prosecution Service, the offence is ‘serious wilful abuse or neglect’ of powers relating to the role in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence, » Constable Wright added.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
If you’ve been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Se*ual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673), available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online. rainn. org.